Thursday 5 September 2013

Re-routed

OK, I've completed the review of the route and re-jigged fuel stops where necessary. The upshot is, there are only 2, maybe 3 days when we shall have to jump on some multi lane roads, days when we have somewhere to visit, so can't afford to dawdle. Even then, I think they are ones in France, that are only 2 lane. In fact, the widest road we'll be on will be the M20 on the run to/from the channel tunnel, before we even get on the continent. 

In mileage, I think there is an extra 30-40 on the twisty stuff. Time wise though, we are looking at an additional 25 hours riding time, over the entire tour. I must say though, now I've had a closer look, some of those roads should be a real hoot to ride on and so long as the sun is shining, who cares if it takes a little longer. We can always get Tomtom to re-route us if we feel the need to speed up anyway.

In undertaking this little exercise, I've managed to pull us away from service station fuel and, in France particularly, steer us towards supermarket fuel. That should save us a few euros over the course of a few fill-ups and leave us more towards our own liquid intake ;-)

I've also booked some hotel rooms for before and after the tour, at the moment too many, of differing quality and cost. Better to have these things sorted early, even though leaving it later and not paying the cancellation premium, would save money. Once things are a bit more firmed up and by that I mean the numbers of Hogs travelling, I can maybe look to cut the costs a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment