Saturday 8 March 2014

The long but not so winding road!

Friday morning arrived with Grizzly's alarm going off.  A look out of the window showed the rain had stopped.  What it also showed was the dramatic effect the rain can have.  The clean attractive river leisurely flowing past the hostel on Thursday, had been replaced by a muddy and noticeably deeper torrent, rushing past at much greater speed. Quite a dramatic change in just 24 hours. 

We made our way downstairs for another full cooked brekkie, before packing and getting into our biking gear. The sky didn't look too promising,  so I stuck the waterproofs on. More hugs and handshakes and I was on my way. Safe journey Grizzly. 

Save for the run out of Keswick to the M6 at Penrith, about 20 miles, my journey was going to be motorway the whole way. 330 miles of mind numbing monotony! Needs must though,  this isn't a tour and home was over 6 hours away. Once again the sun came out and with it my first problem.  I hadn't put my sunglasses on and the low sun reflecting off the wet road was blinding. 

It wasn't long before I had to stop for fuel, and that gave me the opportunity to put my sunnies on. I'd done 213 miles since filling up the evening before and used just shy of 17 litres.  I love the fuel economy of the Sprint. 

Back on the road to hell,  I pressed on down until my bladder called time.  I pulled into Sandbach services to undertake the complex task of having a pee whilst wearing over trousers and long johns. Then it was back in the fast lane!

As the miles rolled by I was watching the fuel gauge and calculating my next stop.  Toddington looked doable and so it was.  With 231 miles covered, the Sprint was ready for another drink. This time I removed the waterproofs for my comfort break. I had a couple of biscuits and hit the road again for the last leg of the journey. It was now warm and sunny.  As I peeled off the M1 for the M25, I had my first incident of the journey.  Luckily I was aware enough to avoid the Belgian juggernaut trying to take my lane,  so disaster was avoided.  

An hour or so later and a camera free blast along another motorway,  the M2, I was back home.  I'd left Keswick at 9:10, arrived Walderslade 15:32. The trip was over.  Over the last few days I'd covered the best part of 700 miles, caught up with some friends, made some new ones and said farewell to one very important one. 

R.I.P. William 'Dudley' Walker. 




Sent from Samsung Mobile

2 comments:

  1. I was almost 6 hours behind you before I got back home. Two coffee stops and a petrol fill before reaching Holyhead, for the ferry back to Ireland. I did 570 miles on the road and about 140 miles on the Irish Sea. As you say Woody, old friends met again, we lost an old friend, but we gained many new friends over the few days in Keswick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I came into read about the forthcoming William Walker memorial tour, but read all about the Dudley's premature passing instead. Woody, Biggsy, Grizzly ...your journeys, your presence, the blog- friend defining tributes, nice touches. Sorry for your loss.
    R.I.P. Mr. Dudley.
    Ken, [Grizzly's-cub-in-law].
    Ps- I promise to come back to the blog soon, if only to travel Europe in spirit!

    ReplyDelete