Sunday 27 July 2014

Day 15, Part 2 - Les Cheres Meres

Les Cheres Meres sits at the end of a gravel driveway, flanked by cornfields and grassland. The latter, is inhabited by four lovely horses, belonging to the B&B.
 
As we pulled up outside the farmhouse, we were greeted by barking from inside. Though there was no sign of the owners of the deep sounding barks, it was clear these weren't going to be small dogs.
 
It was a couple of minutes before our hostess Tina came out to greet us. I apologised for being early, as she was clearly a little agitated. Our room was still being tended to by her partner, Mark.  No problem, we sat on the patio and had our first beer of the day.
 
Grizzly grabbed his camera and wandered off around the garden to photograph some flowers (he's going soft lads!), whilst I took a walk down to see the horses. As I approached, all four came wandering over to meet me. All four stood side by side looking at me, the ideal opportunity for a photo. Out came the phone, shot was lined up and click, just as one decide to turn away and another put his head down! Bugger! Several attempts to get 3 heads looking my way failed fairly miserably.

Best of the bunch
Next thing I know I'm getting a shout from Grizzly, something about dogs. Then bounding towards me, at great speed, came two enormous, well one enormous, one just big, dogs. I braced myself in case they decided to jump up at me but they just ran around me barking, until I grabbed them and patted them. Lovely dogs, a pair of Bernese Mountain dogs, the big boy just 2 years old.

Still a puppy!
 Back at the house I met Mark and instantly noticed he was a Gooner, wearing his Arsenal shorts, so we chatted about the team, signings, etc, before I carried my gear inside, to the little annexe at the end of the main house.
 
Inside, we put the TV on, as Grizzly always did, as today was the day they finished the TDF stage, in Nimes, on the very tarmac we had walked on 3 days earlier. We just had time to freshen up before the climax by which time outside, it had started to pee down. No matter, our dining table, etc, was all under cover! We watched the finish of the race, where the guy got beaten just feet from the line after leading for about 160 miles and sank another beer, that Mark had brought round. Then I did some blogging whilst we waited for dinner.
 
We sat down to chicken, salad and chilli roasties, washed down with copious amounts of beer, included in the price of the meal, followed by a home made cheesecake. Deelish!
 
Before long it was time for Grizzly's beauty sleep and he took to his bed, whilst I tried to catch up on the blog. It's now time for me to get some kip, though brekkie is later tomorrow, so I might get a bit of a lie in!
 
Tomorrow we shall be heading to Bayeux, as we get into D-Day territory.

Les Cheres Meres
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment